Naturally fermented, unpasteurized foods, like miso, are rich in a variety of helpful bacteria called probiotics, and research shows that these beneficial microbes provide essential support for gastrointestinal, immunological, and overall health. This simple and tasty spread goes well on bread or toast, rice cakes, crackers or chapatis. Makes 1/2 cup.
- 4 tbsp. tahini
- 4 tbsp. water
- 1 level tbsp.. brown rice or barley miso
- 1 rounded tbsp.. minced onion, scallion, or chives
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 tsp. fresh chopped basil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a small saucepan or skillet and bring slowly to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Gently simmer for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring constantly, remove from heat. If too thick, stir in more water, one teaspoon at a time.