This is a favorite tempeh recipe. Toasted sesame oil adds a rich, nutty flavor; coconut oil is equally good and adds an Indonesian flavor to the dish. Serve over steamed brown basmati rice. Serves 4.
- 1 12-ounce package tempeh
- 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seed oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp. untoasted sesame seed oil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large sliced onion
- 2 tbsp. tamari
- Dash of ground pepper (black and/or crushed red pepper for some extra spice)
- Combine all ingredients in a glass-baking dish, cover, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Transfer tempeh, vegetables, and sauce to heavy broiling pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. At end of baking time, finish by broiling for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.