This delicious spread is quick and very easy to make. Naturally fermented, unpasteurized foods, like miso, are rich in a variety of helpful bacteria called probiotics, and research shows that these beneficial microbes provide essential support for gastrointestinal, immunological, and overall health. Try this spread for a healthy snack or appetizer. For a mild flavor, use mellow white, yellow, or chickpea miso. For a bolder, saltier flavor, use red miso.
- 2 tbsp. miso paste
- 3 tbsp. toasted sesame tahini
- 1 tbsp. water
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger root, plus juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp. slivered scallion greens or chives
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer on bread or crackers.